Tuesday 20 November 2012

Counting My Blessings

My head is spinning!  I'm not ill, nor is it because the wind and rain are getting me down, no it is the sheer volume of noise that 2 teenagers and a 10 year old can create, whilst supposedly getting ready for school in the mornings.

And the questions!  H2 has an almost constant monologue going on about Bin Weevils, Pokemon and his school Christmas play.  He occasionally breaks it up by asking me a question disguised in a hug.

H2: 'Guess how many Bin Weevils there are?'
Me: 'Erm...Two?'
H2: 'No! Try again!'
Me (beginning to feel the pressure): 'A million?'
Sigh from H2: 'You're not really into this, are you?'
Me: 'Sorry, no.  It's a bit early for me, can we try again later?'
H2: 'OK! Will you test me on my 8 times table?'

Oh God.  Eight times tables are bad enough in English, but as the children all go to Welsh speaking schools, the tables are in Welsh too!  I can do them with a bit of brain strain, but not at 7.15 in the morning.  I am a little delicate at that time.  I like to sit quietly with a cup of tea, the lights down low, slowly coming round to the day, in a gentle manner.

I had hoped to have 10 minutes to finish my dream off.  It was about a handsome farmer in a lambing shed and was just getting to a good bit, when the alarm went off.  I wanted to know what happened next.  No chance of that now, it's full-steam ahead into the day.

At 8am, Pea and H1 left to catch the school bus.  H2 managed to keep the noise levels up all by himself, aided and abetted by two willing dogs.  Half an hour later, I dragged them all down the lane to school.  Within moments it started to spit with rain.  Never mind, we are hardy country types and a bit of rain never hurt anybody.

Thankfully I managed to deposit H2 at school before it really came down.  The wind whipped up and drove rain at us from all directions.  Once I opened our gate, the dogs shot up the path and stood shivering by the back door.  I was so wet my skirt was sticking to my legs and water ran down my face.  On the positive side, I did have a nice healthy glow!

The worst thing about this weather is the mud.  It gets everywhere and is almost impossible to keep out of the cottage.  I am a one-woman army battling against a tidal-wave of mud, dog hair, toys, chewed socks and piles of books and magazines on every surface.  I love our cottage so much and it looked so pretty and clean in the spring sunshine when we moved in.  Now it resembles a midden that only I can see.

But one day I will be a very old lady, living alone in a spotlessly clean and silent house - and I will be bored senseless.  I may be slowly drowning in a sea of mess and noise, but it is our home and I have created it.  And that is something to be proud of.

Now if I can just get rid of the smell of warm, wet dog...

Thankfully I have beautiful fabrics to look at as a diversion.

These are for the bunting I will be making for my sis-in-law's friend's baby.  She said they shouldn't be too pink.
Whoops.

Bit of yellow, maybe?

And what about some aqua ribbon?  Not so pink now!

I am a bit of a pink freak to be honest, especially the really fresh, happy kind of pink, so I have a bit of difficulty when people warn me against too much of it.  Hopefully the recipient will be happy with this combo and a little baby girl will smile when she sees it from her cot.

Have a lovely day and thank you for dropping by. xxx

1 comment:

  1. What glorious material, I too am a bit of a pink freak but not sure my friend is! She might b now she has her own little blodyn. C has got into habit of wanting us with her when shes falling asleep.shes been fine doing it alone for over 3 years! Its easier just doing it as she usually falls asleep withín 5 min. I do move further away from her every night and am now sitting by the door behind her bed and as she cant no longer see me i can catch up with your blog! Anyway my little C is now with the fairies so I'm free to go downstairs for a paned and try to make a start at some school assessments, yey! Not! Tara blodyn tatws x x

    ReplyDelete