Wednesday 9 January 2013

Several Shades of Blue

AT LAST, THE SUN IS OUT!  IT MUST HAVE HEARD MY HEART-FELT PLEA YESTERDAY, BECAUSE AT TEA TIME, THIS IS WHAT WE SAW...



Promising!  The night sky was clear and crisp and this morning when I opened the kitchen blinds, the beautiful sight of a newly risen crescent moon twinkled down at me.

What a difference a day makes!  Pea and I stood at the field wall and watched Venus rise over the mountains at 7.30 this morning.  A sight to make a person sigh with contentment and wonder at the sheer magnitude of Mother Nature.  What a gal.

After I deposited H2 at school and walked home with MAL, the sun had risen a little higher in the sky, but as it is January, she didn't get very far!  It shone through the kitchen windows and filled the room with a golden glow and filled me with an energy I haven't felt for some time.  It felt like Spring!


 It's still chilly though and we still need a scarf at times.  I made a beautiful scarf for myself about 4 years ago.  It was made from a pure wool in heathery colours.  I wore it and wore it and washed it very carefully, being pure wool.  One day though, it must have decided it had had enough of being slung round my neck and when I placed it in the washing machine, a death wish entered it's woolly head.  Ohhh dear.  When I fetched it out of the machine some time later, my beloved scarf had..(sniff) ... shrivelled up.  Nooo!  Oh hecky thump.  It was far too stiff and hard to wear and even though I pulled at it to try to soften it up and make it a bit longer, it refused to budge from it's new-found felted form.

It took a while to get over the trauma, but my scarf seemed happy to be a felted oblong and I had to respect that.  I gently folded it and put it away.  Then one day I had an urge to make a tea-cosy and guess what?  My scarf called to me from the cupboard and begged to become a tea-cosy.

We worked very well together and we are both very happy with the change.

I used some tiny pieces of vintage fabrics and buttons from my Gran's old button tin to craft a kind of flowery thing to sew on the front.  It may be a bit odd as tea-cosies go, but there will never be another one like it!


The front of the cottage looks out to sea and the light there was a cooler pale blue that lit up the rooms with a soft, ethereal touch. Seeing the sea when it is a dazzling blue fills my heart with joy.  It must be something to do with living at the grey end of the spectrum.  Grey washes out all other colours and leaves us feeling low spirited and a bit lethargic.  Blue bounces off our retinas, sends signals to our brains and suddenly we are smiling, awake, happy, more positive and energetic.  That is my view anyway and not in the least bit scientific!

But, just humour me for a moment and have a peek at these then see if you agree.






I am now on a mission to find as many blue things to look at each day as I possibly can.  If only to keep me happy!  Let me know what makes you happy.  Have a lovely day and thank you for dropping by.

Karla.xxx

2 comments:

  1. Love this blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karla, 4th try! I doubt if you will get this but I will try anyway.xm

    ReplyDelete