Saturday 19 January 2013

Snow Angels

I woke at 7am and saw a ghostly light reflecting on the walls around my window.  I put my arm out from under the duvet and extra quilts to test the air temperature; cold, so I snuggled down again for a while longer.  It is Saturday, after all!  Half an hour later I ventured out of bed and drew my curtains.  The snow was lying even deeper than last night.  A snow plough drove slowly along the road, two fields away.  All was silent.

I went to let the dogs out and put the kettle on the hob to boil.  The snow cast an eerie glow in the cottage, the way only snow does.  Puppy was beside himself to find his new friend was still there and he threw himself into the drifts with sheer joy.  MAL, who has seen it all before, was a little more reserved and not thrilled to feel the cold and wet on her paws.  She didn't linger and soon came in for her breakfast.


No vehicles had ventured up or down the lane since yesterday afternoon and as the snow had fallen during most of the night, all previous tracks had been covered.

As the sun rose over the mountains, the snow turned pink and the animals began to wake up and slowly move around in the strange new world they found themselves.


Soon after, the farmers were driving their tractors and 4x4s along our lane and the road, with bales of hay and bags of feed to take to their sheep in the snow bound fields.  Unlike the rest of us, who can stay in and drink hot chocolate or play outside and build snowmen, farmers just have to keep going, no matter what.  Their animals still need food and water and shelter and they cannot be left to fend for themselves.  Even the ponies in the field needed extra hay and a cuddle.

Many years ago, in a former life, I taught adults and children of all abilities how to ride and care for horses.  Breaking the thick ice on the ponies' water bucket this morning brought back memories of painful fingers and frozen toes.  Not something I miss!  It isn't an easy job, looking after animals who live outside, so I take my hat off to those who do it every day, every year, for most of their lives.  They are the Snow Angels and without them, our countryside would be a poorer place.

At about 10am, the sun looked as if it was about to disappear for the day, so Pea and I decided to go for a walk while the going was still good.  We rugged up well and set off, minus dogs and boys.  What a treat!

It was absolutely blinking freezing! Hardly a soul about, apart from the aforementioned farmers, of course.  At first we walked down the tracks left by early morning tractors, but then when we turned off onto a tiny lane, it got heavy going.  The snow was at least a foot deep and where it had drifted across our path, significantly deeper.  It was exhausting!

How beautiful though.  Pea and I kept on saying 'Wow!' all the time!  I took loads of photos and we lingered as long as the cold would let us.  A robin stopped to say hello but the ponies nearby didn't even look up, so intent on eating their hay were they.

We turned for home when I got so hungry I thought I would faint.  I really didn't want Pea to have to drag me home by my heels and all I could think of was food!  The cold does that to you!

When we arrived home, we found the boys hadn't moved an inch from where we left them.  We had been walking for an hour and a half.  H1 sprang into action and made a tray of caramel shortbread.  H2 went and played in the snow. Pea and I stood in the kitchen, ate ham sandwiches and drank scalding hot tea until we thawed out.  Bliss.

I am off now to bake a chocolate and nut steamed pudding for tea.  We will have it hot with whipped cream.  Oh yum, can't wait!  Have a lovely weekend, and thank you for dropping by. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment