Thursday 4 April 2013

Warming Up

The sun is still shining and it is still very windy.  H1 and I got up a bit earlier today and took Puppy for a long walk.  The sky was clear blue, the sun glistened off every surface and the wind blew.  But there is a little more warmth there today, and I feel more optimistic that Spring and indeed Summer will not let us down this year...

These early Spring days always get me fired up.  I am washing everything in sight just to have the simple pleasure of seeing it all blowing madly on the washing line all day and bringing it indoors in the evening, smelling of sunshine, the garden and the sea breeze.  This inspired me to make a candle recently that I called Fresh Linen.  It smells just like that!

Christine has got these in her shop, Celebration Studio, at the moment but I have been asked to make some more for another lady and hope to get some in my Etsy shop one day too!

Anyway, back to our spring morning walk with Puppy.  He has recovered rather too quickly from his man operation (neutering, if you were wondering!), and has been a bit naughty, so it seems that long walks and training are the way to go to try and wear him out.  I will be as thin as a pipe cleaner at this rate.

Off we go up the hill.  It's a bit of a pull, but not too bad and the wind was behind us, which helped!

The bright yellow gorse flowers sang out from every bush lining the lanes.

The view from the top was worth the extra effort to get there.

Two little chaps lapping up the sunshine and smiling for the camera!

These sheep and their lambs had broken into the garden of a deralict farmhouse that the children have named The Scary House.  I don't think it is scary at all; it makes me want to bring it back to it's formerly beautiful self and live in it with hens roaming the orchard, bluebells springing up from green turf and lace curtains stirring in a gentle summer breeze at open windows.  I am an incurable romantic.  In reality, I would probably be bemoaning the fact that the hens had pecked the bluebells, the sheep had crashed through the garden wall again and trodden on my plants, the hens, and eaten my softly billowing curtains.  Oh well.

On our way home again down the hill, easier this time.  Blackbirds singing in the trees, keeping us company all the way and a glimpse of the sea and a nearby lake.  The hedges, grass and trees have been bleached by months of icy cold wind blasting them from all directions.  Hopefully soon the island will be washed in a vibrant green as new shoots appear and wild flowers dare to open their delicate blooms.

The sight of my new rhubarb stems are as pleasing to me as any flower (almost!) and I am looking forward to making rhubarb tart, the children's favourite summer pudding.  If you like rhubarb and custard, you will love this as it is basically a pastry case filled with home made custard and slices of fresh rhubarb, baked until the fruit is soft and the custard set.  Gorgeous warm or cold, with or without cream.  Can't beat it!

Have a lovely day, what ever you do and thank you for reading. xxx


1 comment:

  1. Glad you are enjoying the sunshine ... just need the bitter wind to drop. Rhubarb looking good .. I think it is my favorite fruit .. I made some realy tasty rhubarb and ginger jam last year.

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete