Friday 7 June 2013

The Ghost Of An Idea

I am no Demi Moore and my Patrick Swayze was not to be found, but undeterred I attended the Pottery for Beginners course anyway.  I have wanted to learn how to throw a pot ever since I first walked into the art block at the Forest of Needwood High School in England (too) many years ago, and saw the potter's wheels there.  I never got to try them out, despite being seriously keen and loving my art lessons.  Finally, today, I got my chance...

There were 11 of us on what was possibly the hottest day of the year for the island so far.  Typical.  We wait for months for some heat and when it arrives we are indoors all day.  Never mind, it was worth it.  Pea came with me to keep me company and as a break from revision.  Richard, our tutor showed us how to make thumb pots to begin with.  We have all made these as children no doubt, with plasticine or play dough; you take a ball of clay, poke your thumb in the top and turn the ball while squeezing with the fingers of the same hand, thus making a tiny little pot.  Easy.  We made 2 each and stuck them together and then turned them into animals.

 Pea made a mouse-rat and I made a star-gazing pig.

He's meant to look like that, actually!  He has a little heart on his back too. I love him.

Flushed with success there was no stopping us, so next we made some small cereal bowels using molds.




Pea's turned out really well, but mine was a bit small and probably better suited as a bowl to put a single walnut in.  We decided to make a wind chime as a joint effort next and cut out loads of hearts and rain drops which we inscribed with all our names, including our pets and the year.  Once it has been fired we will string it together with fishing line and find a suitable place to hang it.



We had loads of fun making this but the real reason I was there was to throw a pot.  I was excited but also nervous.  After waiting for so long, what if I was rubbish at it or worse still, hated it?  I watched as a few other brave souls had a go and then forced myself to get up in front of the class and try my hand.  The clay felt warm and smooth.  It needed more pressure from my hand than I thought it would and I soon found that I was completely lost in the hypnotic movement and sound of the turning wheel, and the feel of clay beneath my hands.  It was such a relaxing thing to do and I felt completely at ease.  Somehow I knew what to do to mold it and felt unhurried and happy.  
I lost myself in making my little pot and could see how you could easily lose many hours just silently making pots and enjoying the craft.  Wow, I love it!

I know that in the great scheme of things, it isn't that impressive, but I am absolutely delighted with my pot and want to make more...lots more!

Pea had a go next and did extremely well.  She felt like I did, that we want to do this again, we want to be good at it.

We were all pretty hooked on this new craft and were pleased to hear that we can all go again for the next two Fridays and then start a proper course in September.  Yes!

I think I should warn my family that they will be getting all manner of hand-made rubbish from me for Christmas and birthdays for years and years to come.  Sorry!

Thank you for reading. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment